College Attainment Tools
SJI is working to increase the rates of college attainment as a critical part of our mission to help low-income individuals to secure living-wage jobs while also meeting the demands of the local economy for skilled workers. We strive to provide leadership to the community in a ground-up, collaborative approach to identify and develop needed tools that can help address the challenges these individuals face in preparing for, accessing and completing college programs.
Recently developed tools are specifically designed to help community-based practitioners to succeed in their work within the emerging field of college navigation.
- Overview of SJI’s College Attainment Tools & Objectives, January 2012 (PDF, 385KB)
- Dance Steps
SJI’s Dance Steps Brochure is a guide to the basic steps in becoming an enrolled student at a community college. The Community College Inserts highlight three local community colleges and show where to go to complete each enrollment step on that particular campus.
The printed Dance Steps Brochure and Inserts are available for your organization! Please contact SJI at (206) 628-6975 to request a supply of these materials for your use.
- Dance Steps Brochure, October 2009 (PDF, 184KB)
- Insert: North Seattle Community College, May 2012 (PDF, 338KB)
- Insert: Shoreline Community College, October 2009 (PDF, 648 KB)
- Insert: South Seattle Community College, Updated May 2012 (PDF, 471KB)
- Insert: Highline Community College, October 2012 (PDF, 308KB)
- College Program Matrix
The Community College Program “Matrix” is an Excel-based tool intended to help college navigators and other community-based organization staff guide students through the local community college system – allowing users to quickly and easily learn more about, compare, select, and connect to programs at local colleges within four key local industry sectors: Business Information Technology, Healthcare, Manufacturing, and Transportation.
- Community College Program Matrix Tool, January 2012 (Excel, 43KB)
- User Guide: Community College Program Matrix Tool, January 2012 (PDF, 171 KB)
- PDF version: Community College Program Matrix Tool (note: only the Excel version of the Matrix tool can be sorted/manipulated), January 2012 (PDF, 520KB)
- The ABC's of College Navigation
This tool puts important information and resources at the fingertips of college navigators and others supporting low-income individuals, providing comprehensive information organized in sections that reflect the typical steps a college navigator would take to help an individual become a successful community college student.
- The ABC’s of College Navigation Guide, January 2012 (PDF, 825KB)