Seattle Jobs Initiative (SJI) is a non-profit organization that creates opportunities for people to support themselves and their families through living-wage careers. All of our work is designed to eliminate barriers to well-paid, long-term work. We creatively align support services — like housing, childcare, transportation and counseling – with job skills training and job placement assistance.
As the Research & Project Consultant, what will you do?
This role is on our consulting team, and you will be supporting the growth and development of our new Student-Centered Design Consulting Program. We use applied behavioral science, human centered-design, and process improvement to help community colleges and public and non-profit organizations make their programs and systems more accessible to underserved students. You’ll be joining a small but mighty team and involved in all aspects of program development as we build this program from the ground up. Your primary responsibilities will include working with the Program Lead on client engagements, developing program infrastructure, creating capacity-building materials and trainings, and pursuing business development/marketing activities.
In a typical month you might:
- Lead and support client engagement work, which will include developing tools and resources, conducting research, developing design activities, and facilitating meetings and intervention design sessions.
- Prepare for, conduct, and follow up on a client site visit; activities might include organizing logistics, developing focus group protocols, conducting focus groups, and authoring content analyses for clients.
- Author a proposal, research report, or blog post; work on a literature review, prepare figures and charts, edit and fact check.
- Brainstorm with the Program Lead and project team on training, program development, and business development opportunities to pursue.
- Support multiple aspects of operational and program work, including scheduling meetings, taking notes, and developing program infrastructure, such as our research and knowledge base.
What qualifications and experience will our Research & Project Consultant bring to SJI?
A commitment to fulfilling our mission and exhibiting a high level of professional behavior in all aspects of their work. This includes our expected staff values: Excellent communication, professional and gracious behavior, collaboration, respect, and leadership behavior.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of experience. Master’s Degree and 2 years of experience preferred. An equivalent combination of experience and education is acceptable.
- Demonstrated experience and sensitivity to conducting research in communities that serve traditionally underrepresented groups.
- Demonstrated experience in project management, working in a client-facing environment and communicating clearly and persuasively using a variety of formats.
- Preferred: Applied research and/or fieldwork experience. Teaching and/or curriculum design experience. Marketing and branding experience. Knowledge of/experience in higher education (specifically the community college sector), workforce development, and poverty reduction fields.
- Ownership, Project Management, and Planning. Client-Facing, Relationship-Building, and Communication Skills. Dedication, Initiative, and Learning Mindset.
- Commitment to continuously striving to find solutions to help people out of poverty. Understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office suite. Proficiency in Adobe Creative suite.
- Ability to travel (locally, regionally, and nationally) 10% to 25% of the time. Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license and proof of insurance required for local travel.
Compensation & Benefits
Hire-in salary pay range $56k to $70k, company paid employee medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, health and dependent care flexible spending accounts, company partially subsidized parking and/or transit, PTO (Paid time off), personal holidays, and 401(k) with SJI match.